National Suicide Prevention:
 Dial 988  •

My doctor has prescribed a medication that is potentially habit-forming. What should I do?

You should notify your medical professional that you are in recovery and have them explore alternative medication before prescribing something that will jeopardize your recovery. Before filling the prescription, discuss the medication with your Addictionologist and If deemed appropriate for you to take this medication notify the NCCDP. Once you fill the prescription you should immediately turn it over to your spouse/signficant other, or other responsible party who will help control and monitor your dosage.